Manual Handling is the single biggest cause of injury and ill-health in the UK every year. Thousands of workers this year will suffer harm due to poor Manual Handling technique. Here are some quick tips to help you avoid becoming one of those statistics:
- Do I have to lift it? – always ask yourself that question and try to avoid Manual Handling – get a machine to do it for example
- Break the load down into smaller, lighter parts – it may take a little longer but it will certainly save your back
- Use a mechanical aid such as a trolley or sack truck whenever possible – let the truck do most of the work
- If you have to pick the load up and carry it, make sure you use good technique – bend at the knees…!
- Make this good technique a lifetime habit – do it at home, not just at work